Saturday, March 15, 2008

I got in somewhere!

I've been accepted into the Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Undergraduate Research Program this summer! Hooray! I have accepted and have preliminary details about what I would be working on - studying learning and memory in drosophila and altering code/hardware for the flight simulator to better track drosophila flight patterns or something like that. It sounds pretty interesting and does indeed combine parts of neuroscience (including memory!) with parts of computer science pretty interestingly. Hopefully, it will all work out nicely.

If you're interested, here is the lab page explaining the research.

And for my reference, related links:
A drosophila flight simulator, with video
Recent related paper by future mentors: Analysis of the Trajectory of Drosophila melanogaster in a Circular Open Field Arena
PLoS comment section for above paper - contains link to discussion questions
A list of some papers by my future higher-up mentor, Dr. Partha Mitra
Drosophila melanogaster - Wikipedia
Related to first link; Simulating neuronal nets with SNNAP

No comments: